Now it’s Tea Bags!

Imagine my horror…

teabags

I finally got around to slowing down my coffee habit and drinking more tea, after all look at it, it looks perfect right? In all honesty I don’t drink ordinary tea but I am really enjoying discovering herbal teas… So tasty and healthy. Then someone told me about the plastic in tea bags… I was horrified.

I got onto google straight away and indeed it is true a thin film of plastic is used inside the bag to allow the bags to be heat sealed. I’m in a quandary now, is that cup of tea that I am growing to love really potentially worse for me than all of the coffee I was guzzling?

IMG_20171220_164224_761.jpg So I did some more searching and my favourite teas (Pukka) DO NOT use plastic tea bags, oh the joy, I was so pleased that all was not lost in my bid for healthy hot drinks. Pukka themselves say…

Their teabags do not contain polypropylene or any other plastic – their teabag is sewn shut by machine with cotton thread.  They even went on to say their teabag paper is made of a blend of natural abaca (a type of banana) and plant cellulose fibres, and their supply of tea bag paper is also Totally Chlorine Free and unbleached.  They are staple-free and 100% biodegradable and/or recyclable. The tea bag strings are made from 100% organic, non-GMO, un-bleached cotton. (Thanks to http://moralfibres.co.uk for the info)

After checking the lists across the internet the rule of thumb is the price you pay for your tea bags, it seems it is the more expensive ranges are the ones that are fully degradable paper. I urge you to check out your favourite brand online.

Not only do the bags with plastic in not degrade fully there may be other issues, this is only my opinion but drinking traces of infused plastic cannot be good for us.

Look after yourselves and make your next cuppa a good one…

 

 

16 thoughts on “Now it’s Tea Bags!

  1. I use lose leaf tea with a steeper about 95% of the time! The other 5% I use tea sachets that I can fill myself that are fully biodegradable. It can be tough and a little more expensive too find a green solution, but it is usually floating around somewhere ☺

    Liked by 1 person

    • I was surprised when I wrote this just how many people still use loose leaf teas, I’ve been a coffee drinker for too many years but I think I may return to loose leaf tea myself. Thanks for the tip 🙂

      Like

  2. Plastic tea sachets and tea bags are quiet worrisome! We talk a little bit about the benefits of loose leaf tea at teasnewjersey.com/2018/01/15/loose-leaf-vs-tea-bag/ If you’re considering loose leaf tea, we have a great selection of quality loose leaf teas at teasnewjersey.com and specialize in providing our customers the information they need in order to make informed tea buying decisions. If you have any questions feel free to contact us!

    Liked by 1 person

  3. I would recommend getting loose leaf with an infuser. If you do go that route, make sure the tea that you buy does not have a lot of dust as the holes in the infusers are too big. What I did was to find what I liked using bags which gave me a good idea of what I liked which narrowed my search for loose leaf (and save money).
    Stay away from Teavana, they are overpriced (they are owned by Starbucks).

    Liked by 1 person

    • That’s a good idea but not necessary when pukka do such an awesome job of it for me 😊
      To be fair I’m new to tea. I’d always been a coffee drinker until about 4 months ago. So maybe in the future I will try blending my own.
      Have a great weekend 😁

      Like

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: