Here are 5 Spring toxins to watch out for at this time of year:
1. Spring bulbs
Daffodil, tulip and crocus bulbs are toxic and can poison a dog or cat if they were to dig up and eat any. If they do, they could suffer side effects from fitting or heart and blood pressure problems, to vomiting and diarrhoea. But it’s not just the bulbs to worry about, ingesting daffodil flowers or even drinking the water from a vase of them could be enough to make your pet unwell.
2. Herbicides & fungicides – plant and fungal-killing chemicals
Examples of these are weed killer and mildew control. Toxicity among herbicides varies enormously, but pet poisoning can occur from as little contact as brushing up against a treated plant. The results can vary from vomiting to liver failure – so keep these chemicals well away from your pets at all times.
3. Rodenticides – rat or mouse killers
If you find you have a rodent problem and you have pets, never use rodenticides. They are as attractive to your cat or dog as they are to the rodents they are designed to kill, and that’s why they account for so much of the pet poisoning seen by vets every year.
Symptoms such as weakness, lethargy, lameness or bruising are typical, as well as vomiting, excitability, changes in body temperature and fitting. Even if you haven’t used this poison yourself but your pet is displaying symptoms, it could be that they have eaten poison elsewhere – for example, a poisoned mouse – so always seek veterinary advice immediately.
The blossom is starting to come out, and for many of us that means symptoms of hayfever are returning. Always be very careful not to leave antihistamines lying around as they can prove highly toxic to pets. Symptoms to look out for include agitation, lethargy, vomiting, aggression and seizures, and they could prove fatal.
Beautiful they may be, but they are also highly dangerous to cats. For some, even being in the same room as lilies can be enough to cause a toxic reaction. If there’s even a chance that your cat has come into contact with them in a vase or as a plant, seek veterinary advice immediately as any delay could result in kidney failure or even death.
If you believe your pet has been exposed to or ingested something toxic, always seek veterinary help immediately.
Thanks to the Kennel Club for this update.